1.26.2011

frosted glass

I've had this big jar of clear UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel) since we lived in California...which means it's at least 8 years old. Maybe 10. I guess it doesn't expire because it's still kickin'!


The other day I found it in the back of a drawer and pulled it out to play. I ended up creating a frosted glass look by combining it with another neglected embossing powder in my stash -- White Pearls by Stamp-N-Stuff.

Sometimes it seems like a card just doesn't want to be photographed. This is one of them. It was a stubborn stinker and looks better in person...you'll just have to trust me. ;)


To create the UTEE piece, I first stamped images from the Hero Arts With Sympathy set onto slightly damp watercolor paper. LOVE this useful and beautiful set. Tip: Flip the floral image upside down and stamp with green ink to fill in some of the area at the bottom. Looks grassy that way.

I then applied some Tumbled Glass, Shabby Shutters, and Peeled Paint Distress Inks, generously tapped Versamark Ink to cover the whole thing, and embossed it with UTEE. Once the first coat of UTEE was dry, I did a layer of White Pearls powder, not really knowing what would happen. I liked the frosty effect and went with it. One more coat of UTEE over the top gave it a nice smooth finish.

Easy as that! Frosty and fun. (I don't know about you, but I could use more fun and less frost in my neck of the woods. Hurry, spring!)

23 comments:

Sarah said...

Gorgeous!

Suzanne C said...

I agree gorgeous! I hate using that Utee it flys everywhere! LOL! BUT it give a beautiful coat. :) Love that you mixed the frost in!

Nancy said...

Beautiful...what a wonderful effect! I am in need of some serious inspiration lately and I'm so glad I stopped by for a visit!
{blessings!}

Lucy Abrams said...

Totally gorgeous, shiny and pretty and sweet.

Joy said...

Gorgeous and love the technique, definitely a WOW! factor on this beautiful card.

Mary Dawn said...

smashing! now go make a card for tomorrow, today! blog blog blog! LOL

Tracey said...

OMGOODNESS!!!!!!!!!! LOVE this Tami!!! SO PRETTY!!!!

Barb said...

I could use A LOT less frost too, Tami! Can't wait for Spring! I absolutely love this card! The fun technique you used turned out beautifully! And what a great tip. . .turning the stamp upside down! You're awesome!

Maureen Morton said...

Wow - can't believe that you just tired something new and it turned out so beautifully. Love the idea of turning the stamp to create fill-in grass. You are a genius!

Sue McRae said...

Wonderful watercolour, kind of dreamy effect and love your stamping tip!

donna mikasa said...

gorgeous, card--love your technique! reminds me of an elegant domino...

lynzw21 said...

I have unused UTEE also, I can't wait to try this out! How fun to just play and come up with something as beautiful as this- you're amazing :)

kath said...

what a fabulous effect tami...I too have a neglected tub of UTEE...off to hunt it down...big hugs kath xxx

Jill said...

AAAHHHH! I love this! Going to have to try it ASAP! Genius, my friend, genius!

Michelle said...

WOWZA!!! This is just beyond STUNNING Tami! I am so going to try this today. It's very frosty here too and I could use some warm UTEE! :)

debbie susee said...

That card is gorgeous! Wow! I may need to get some UTEE. :)

Agata said...

AMazing! Love the look of it and will definitely have to try this technique!

Sharon D from Canada said...

So very beautiful, Tami! And thanks for the tip on making the grass!

Louise said...

Wow beautiful!

Latrice said...

umm...this is fab-U-lous! I'm going to try this next time I emboss something!

Leslie Hanna said...

This is SO cool. I keep forgetting about my UTE. My stash may have reached critical mass!

Tiffany said...

Very pretty effect! I always love your color choices!

pcm said...

hey, i have both of these and never use either. Now i can give this a try! lovely!